Friday, November 21, 2008

I feel better

I usually make a point of not posting when I have nothing interesting to say, but I didn't want to leave you all on my previous (cranky) note for days on end.

I feel a lot better. Yesterday was a fine day at work. Nothing in particular happened there at all. I left early because I had a follow-up doctor's appointment. Even though my eyes look a lot better, apparently they're not, so I have to keep at them for a while. After the doctor I met up with Anita and Omar, and after playing with Karim and Ramy* for a while, we all headed over to Omar's father's house for dinner. There we saw Sherine and Shaggy and Zak, and, of course, Omar's father.
Karim and Anita's maid, Sabah, both agreed that they liked my car.

*Karim, 4, and Ramy, 1, are Anita's kids and my playmates. Karim loves me, and asks his parents when Auntie Lisy is coming to play with him. We also have our own special language. Karim is quad-lingual. He speaks Arabic, English, German and Polish. He favours his Arabic heavily, and speaks it about 95% of the time that he's not at school (where he speaks only German). In an effort to help him learn English, Anita has convinced him that I don't understand Arabic, and he can only speak to me in English, which he does for the most part and can surprise even me with how much he knows. When he does get lazy or forgetful, and speaks to me in Arabic, I usually tell him to speak to me in English or just respond to his Arabic in English. Unfortunately for both of our linguistic development, however, sometimes we both get lazy and forgetful and revert to our own special arabic-english mix. (E.g. "Where's the tayara, Tauntie lisy?" "The tayara is stuck fil shagara, yaKoko".) Ramy and I also have our own language, but it mostly involves making 'geeeaaaaah' noises at each other, as he's not old enough to speak yet.

Wahied is coming home today! I'm pretty excited, because I've missed him a lot over the past THREE WEEKS, and can't wait to see him. Hopefully tomorrow will bring all of the progress and problem resolution that we need (gas company is coming, Wahied can duke it out with the parking guys, perhaps we can convince the doorman to clean up our hallway). In the meantime....breakfast.

No comments: