Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In my eyes...

...there are infections. That's right, both of those things are plural. I have both a bacterial and a viral infection in each of my eyes. Yum!

I won't go into details of my eye-infection saga because it's gross, boring and I'm not supposed to be using a computer. (I am typing this with sunglasses on, in a dark room, so it's all good). Let it suffice to say that I and my stubbornness were all parts of the problem, and Anita was part, if not all, of the solution. After inappropriately dealing with the problem all day, in a final act of desperation I called her and she fixed it.

There is nothing in the world quite as important as good friends, who are there for you in the most inconvenient (and disgusting) of times. I only hope that someday there is a way I can re-compensate her for what she did that doesn't include driving her and her oozing face halfway across Cairo on two minutes' notice during rush hour and back.

Needless to say, I didn't go to work today. The doctor was really really good, and whatever he gave me has been working miracles, but I still felt it was better to give myself some time. But without books, the internet, or going outside, things can be a bit slow. Luckily, food is still tasty.

Wahied is having a bit of trouble. One of his older tourists fainted while he was out in one of the Oases. She has been in the hospital for a couple of days now, and Wahied, who was working with them alone, has been trying desperately to manage all arrangements with the 17 people not in the hospital, without leaving the sick woman's side. While they all see a 'difficult situation being flawlessly handled by an attentive guide and tourist company' I see a scared, exhausted, 29 year old boy, desperately trying to handle an extremely difficult situation, who has only a mobile phone and no help from the company. After a full night of negotiating, which was his second night without a minute of sleep, Wahied managed to get the woman into an Ambulance to Cairo, and then promptly boarded a bus to go give a tour of some pyramids. Worried is not the right word for what i feel for him right now, but unfortunately the emotion I do have at the moment is not one that can be eloquently described in words. The closest I can come is "Gaaah!".

I'm going to go shut my eyes for a bit. I'll write more soon.

No comments: